عنوان مقاله [English]
Madrasa-e Khan (or Khan Theological School) is one of the few remaining Safavid buildings in Shiraz. Commissioned by ‘Allah-Verdi Khan’ in order to provide a place for Molla Sadra’s teachings, it has been time and again destroyed due to various causes and consequently renovated and restored on consecutive occasions. Haj Mirza Ali Akbar Khan Ghavam al-Molk’s attempts during 1276-1279 A.H. are considered the most important restorations the building has gone through during the Qajar period; its details has been documented in the building’s west entrance inscription. Introducing the inscription thoroughly, this study aims at investigating its historical as well as artistic aspects. It was conducted using historical-descriptive method of research based on library sources and field observations.
Historically speaking, west entrance inscription of Madrasa-e Khan is of a great significance. Although it uses typical Thuluth script of Qajar epigraphic style, it is outstanding on account of its calligrapher’s impressive use of repetitive and rather symmetrical hastae of “la” word letters throughout the composition. At the same time, decorating and colouring style of the inscription can be regarded as one of the most innovative examples of epigraphs used in Islamic architecture. Characterized by an unfamiliar yet deliberate use of coloured spots and shades, this style has been referred to as “colourful epigraphy” throughout this study.